24/07/2026
Doncaster’s modern churches: St Edmund’s, Sprotbrough
A typical GG pace church? Yes but not typical on how it came about.
St Edmund's Church and youth centre originated as farm buildings standing on the north side of Anchorage Lane, Sprotbrough. The first edition 1:10,560 Ordnance Survey map published in 1851 is labelled 'Site of Ancres Chapel Anchorage'. It shows a linear row of buildings set back from the road with an L-shaped building fronting Anchorage Lane, suggesting a roadside farmhouse with agricultural buildings to the rear of a yard.
The farmhouse was demolished at an unknown date, but an historic photograph of unknown date shows the range of agricultural buildings prior to conversion. The building on the left, which was to become the church, is a barn with a large threshing door under a timber lintel, by this time blocked by brick with the exception of a pedestrian doorway. The bay to its right had a first-floor window with a pedestrian doorway below. The outer gable wall is plastered with mortice holes and scarring for steps, floors and partitions indicating that there had been another building in the range, now demolished. The building beyond the barn continued the roofline, but appears to have been fully of two storeys, perhaps a stables or cowhouse with hay loft over.
During the Second World War the War Office commandeered the farm, and subsequently the buildings fell into disrepair. In 1952 the Diocese of Sheffield bought the site. The eastern part of the parish of Sprotbrough was then transferred to the ancient parish of Doncaster. The vicar of Doncaster, Canon H G G Herklots, and the Parochial Church Council of Doncaster Parish Church worked closely with the Diocesan Architect, George Pace, to convert the buildings into a church and youth centre. The Bishop dedicated the church to St Edmund on 27 February 1954.
In 1963 an extension room and vestry were added. In 1969 a gallery was erected in the church for a two-manual pipe organ, which was relocated from St Andrew's Church, Marshgate, which was demolished in December 1969. A new, lean-to kitchen extension was built against the east gable wall of the youth centre in 2005.
The church became redundant in 2009 and was put up for sale. It is presently unused. The altar, pipe organ and seats have been removed. Now converted to a house.